Sunday, November 11, 2012

Apology to Barbara,Lynn and millions of wonderful women

In graduate school, I wanted to prepare myself to be of maximum use to educators.  I had already had undergraduate classes in educational methods, which I had passed but disliked and ridiculed.  When I began teaching teachers myself, I concentrated on the subjects that seemed valuable to me, such as educational psychology and some philosophy, but more of the works of John Holt's (What Do I Do Monday?), James Herndon's The Way It Spozed to Be and Ken Macrorie's Uptaught.  I don't think I ever mentioned John Dewey, Rousseau or even Nel Noddings.

So, when a highly-regarded retired professor of philosophy asked me to represent Dewey in his class recently, I discussed my background and tried to explain that Dewey, a major figure in any examination of recent (say, since 1800) philosophy of education did not figure much at all in current teacher training.  I used the example of a bulletin board that was hanging on the wall in the class as something that did figure largely in my training but which seemed to me at the time to be superfluous.  It seemed a misuse of energy to be thinking about the pictures, colors and size and shape of large letters when preparing to be custodians of young minds.

Barbara, the astute wife of a man I like very much, disagreed with me.  He told me so yesterday.  I explained what I had said to my wife and she immediately replied she wished she had attended my part of the talk.  Had she been there, she would have said some things in defense of bulletin boards.  

I did some practice teaching in the 3rd grade and received a so-so review which included the comment that it was clear that the lower grades should be taught by women.  I thought that men could do such teaching too, and I know of a few who have done so and done very well.  However, I see her point.

Lynn just gave me a preview of what she would have said in defense of bulletin boards and other activities and approaches used in nursery school, kindergarten and primary education.
  • Children at a young age cannot yet read.  But they have active minds that can and must be nourished and developed.
  • Some people are visual learners and learn much more deeply and quickly through what they can see.  Bulletin boards and other colorful classroom art assist them in learning about the world, as well as setting an upbeat and positive mood for the schoolroom.

I add that my personal hunger to explore and greed to understand stifles my love for the children that need help.  They need activities planned in which they can move about, enjoy the world and each other.  They cannot learn as well if they must sit and listen while being told aloud what they should learn and remember.  Women around the world know this and go to extraordinary lengths to sacrifice themselves, their time, their energy and their brains to find ways to help little kids learn the world.  It seems to me that they are powered by a stream of love that is more of a trickle in me.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby