Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Faith without a plan 2

Yesterday, I mentioned sources (McWilliams, Murray, Goethe, Joseph Ranseth, Thoreau) who wrote about the idea of the difference between armchair consideration of a project and the view of that project, its possibilities and resources to work on it from inside it, after it has been begun in earnest.  But what actually got me onto that subject was a book that was published in 1910 that I consider to be about what we now call "time management".  The author was Arnold Bennett, who was a literate man.  It is called "How to Live on 24 Hours a Day" and is available on Kindle at zero cost.

Here is the quote that got me thinking again of having faith in a project while being aware of missing parts and unanswered questions:

Briefly, get up earlier in the morning. You say you cannot. You say it is impossible for you to go earlier to bed of a night--to do so would upset the entire household. I do not think it is quite impossible to go to bed earlier at night. I think that if you persist in rising earlier, and the consequence is insufficiency of sleep, you will soon find a way of going to bed earlier.

Bennett, Arnold (2000-08-01). How to Live on 24 Hours a Day (Kindle Locations 40-43). Public Domain Books. Kindle Edition.


There is an example of an invitation to play and explore.  Once an adult mind tries something, the monkey-like, scattered, nervous, jerky mind can play with it: toss the idea around, twist it, taste it, drop it, boil it and on and on. When we used to say "Now put on your thinking caps", we could have said "Put on your playing caps and fool around".

Don't underestimate the value of play.

(Just as I enjoy reading or hearing the wording of the King James Bible, I enjoy William James and this Arnold Bennett fellow.  Language from a century or more ago has a ring and twist to it that I like.  I can't easily write like that or think like that but I can understand it.)

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby