Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Technical deluge and frustration

Last spring, we got new computers, new cellphones and a new tv.  As often happens these days, something new in such things means something new and different, supposedly something better.  More abilities and functions, more possibilities.  Getting all that new stuff in a short time meant unlearning some of what we had learned and learning new operating systems,  Changing habits can be annoying and frustrating.  We reached the point where there were enough new things to try, remember, misunderstand or be frustrated by that we sort of hit the wall.  Too much new in too short a time!

When I want to accomplish something, my first assumption is that I am probably not the first person or maybe even the thousandth person to want to do it.  Quite possibly, the computer, the software, the web site, the cell phone, the online service is already set-up to do what I am trying to do.  So, that means reading, more reading and reading interspersed with attempts to apply what I read.  My mother wanted to learn to use her Mac so she bought a fat manual.  She opened to page 1 and began reading, treating the book as she would a novel.  

I like to get the basic idea in a flash and apply it all over the place, I guess because I am lazy and impatient. However, like it or not, I have found that it works better to read carefully the steps needed to do my intended task, and stop after each and try what it being described.  After completing the process, if I succeed, I know I am on the right track, even though I don't really grasp what I am doing or why.  If I don't succeed, I have to go through the same reading and applying at least two or even three more times to try to be sure I am applying each step.  If I still don't succeed, I need further help.  

Talking on the phone to help desk personnel may clear up the problem easily but the helper has to speak so I can understand them.  I have to remember what I was advised.  Sometimes, I can't get through to help staff or I can't understand them or I don't remember what I was told or I misunderstand what I was told.  It can be very helpful to see if putting a phrase describing my problem or goal in Google gives ideas.  Discussing the problem with a savvy partner or friend or relative often helps, if only to show me that others have a solution or that others are also having trouble.  It isn't just me.

We now have a new van.  It can (and does) answer calls on our cellphones, dial when told whom to dial.  It plays our iPod through the speaker system and has its own garage door opener built in.  It shows us the external temperature and our mph continuously.  It advises us on the ecologically astuteness of our driving.  Now, if we can just remember how to start and stop it.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby