Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Colors

Lynn wrote about colors.  An interesting subject in many ways.  I have been watching a DVD Great Courses course on genetics, taught by Prof. Lee M. Silver.  He shows that scientists can make a fluorescent dye which has the chemical properties to bind to a particular gene.  When they use it on DNA, the portion that is, say, bright blue is a given gene.  So, it is easy for the eye to see where the blue is, and relatively how much blue there is.  

Similarly, Excel can be programmed to turn every entry in a column red if it is greater than a given number or is a given word, such as "credit".  That makes searching with the eye much easier.

In "The Demon Under the Microscope", Thomas Hager tells the story of the incredible amount of research German chemists did trying to find what we call today an anti-biotic.  Hundreds of compounds were tested using dyes without the workers realizing that the dye was more important anti-biotically than what they thought was the main chemical.

In a book by a Japanese woman, I read that men in her time were against wearing red, yellow or pink as they were colors that were too feminine.  Even today, using pink as a main color to denote support for research to cure breast cancer is notable in that we have professional football players wearing pink, a color they would normally not wear.

I have seen research that showed that pink was a calming color and a good one for jail cells and similar sites where it is desired that people should be calmed.  I have also seen research that sports uniforms that are black or mostly black have been more often associated with victory in the game.

I added the extension ColorfulTabs in my Firefox browser.  It gives me different colors for the open browser windows, tabs, and the tool to color the tab whatever I want.  I often use right red for the page I am concentrating on at the time.

As a kid, I learned that pink and red "don't go together" and neither did blue and green.  Now I see many fabrics, items, uniforms, web pages, brochures, etc. that combine those colors together.  I do see that each hue comes in many shades of intensity and can vary widely.  I still am reluctant to wear red with green except to a Christmas party or blues and blacks together.  I bought a new mug the other day.  My 16 oz. one led me to drink too much coffee to sleep well.  The new one has a glaze of what is a light blue and almost a black except it is actually a deep, deep brown.  Doesn't sound that good but it is.  Lynn, with a sharp eye for color, has complimented it twice.


Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby