Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cultured, uncultured

Listening to the dialogue of the wonderful movie "Enchanted April", I hear the old aristocratic lady, played by Joan Plowright, says that this or that is "in poor taste".  Whatever she was complaining about, I had just the moment before thought how clever and insightful the remark was.  Being brought up short by the poor taste remark, I realized much of what I approve or disapprove in human actions is related to what I have absorbed from my family and other cultural forces.  Of course, I thought of HER cultural prejudices first but then it came to me that my food choices, my music and book tastes, my dress habits, possibly the way I walk even, are all related to the culture(s) I grew up in.

When I try to see what culture does, I can tell that the usual suspects are important.  Gender relations, age relations, relations between neighbors, between friends - all relations are likely to be guided by what culture says one does in them, what is allowed, what is appropriate, how positive and negative feelings are expressed.  Of course, what foods are served and how they are prepared is affected by culture.  What is good driving and appropriate walking/strolling behavior is affected.  As someone said, in some religious places, one must not be bare-headed while in other, one must be.  Similarly, no shoes allowed in some places but required in others.  Generally, we realize that many of the 'right' things are arbitrary and could just as well be different.  Regardless, doing what is customary makes one's acceptance deeper and smoother.  Trying to do the right thing when it differs from one's habits is not easy.  I forget sometimes and I feel uncomfortable.  

A pair of German college students visited a restaurant with us.  This is a place where one is served peanuts in the shell.  The nut is cracked open with one's fingers and correct procedure is to toss the shells on the floor.  These well-brought-up students were somewhat horrified and very reluctant to follow protocol.  Eventually, they were persuaded to try the wild primitive side of life.  We took their picture simultaneously tossing the shells.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby