Friday, December 23, 2011

Modern hustle

We hustle and bustle and are steadily reminded to de-stress.  A good idea but we have solid reasons for speed and striving, rushing, hurrying, excitement.

We have more opportunities than we can even comprehend.  My Roku player is quite good.  I can spend an hour just sampling what it can bring me.  What the heck is a Roku player?

I want to get a device for my computer.  I am thinking of something that plugs into the USB port on the computer and brings a useable wireless internet connection to my machine.  I know this device exists because I used to rent one by the month.  I see them in the stores and online.  Part of the problem is that I don't know what to call it.  Without a good name, one that is in wide use, it is difficult to search or inquire.

Quite a few people, including my wife and me, wonder if they will be bored to death in retirement.  Check with them a few years after retiring.  You usually find they are very busy.  What happened?  They weren't able to tell, while working, how many attractive opportunities there are in our world today.  As time has gone on, however, this possibility and that one were recognized.  Now, the to-do list, the to-learn list, the to-try list is very long.

Opportunities to make money, be friendly, enjoy others, travel, learn, and develop are beyond counting.  Just in the area of what is called "social media", there are tons of possibilities.  Re-connect with old friends, strike up conversations with new ones, find groups in common, translate messages between your favorite language and those of others, on and on.  

I agree that taking a cell phone call in the middle of a party can be rude and is to be avoided.  But you can see what happens.  The caller is just as busy as the call recipient, who has been trying to get a crucial bit of information from the caller for days.  Now, the call means both are available right now!  At least, answer the call.  But it is so engrossing, the party person forgets where he is.  No wonder, he hasn't been able to talk to his brother since he landed, since he proposed, since the operation.  Now is the time!  Of course, he is excited and focused on actually speaking to him.

There is just too much that is delicious and exciting and fantastic and immediate to slow down!

Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby