Friday, April 22, 2011

New things and being wise

We recently got new computers.  Soon after moving to Windows 7, I installed Amazon's free software so I could read some of my Kindle books on the computer.  The laptop weighs more than the Kindle (7.2 lbs. vs. 10.5 oz., eleven times the Kindle weight) and costs more but it is far, far more flexible.  Further, it is fully part of the World Wide Web, with all of the computing and displaying capacities currently available.

Lynn is working on the preparation of a presentation and started using online Kindle software to cut and paste some passages in a book.  When she downloaded the Kindle software, opened the book, and highlighted the passage of interest, a tool bar immediately appeared that included the ability to copy the highlighted passage.  The software did not include that ability before.  I have been standing on my head to do the same thing in several steps.  I suspected my version was out-of-date.  I uninstalled the program, re-installed from Amazon and bingo!  The new capability is right there!  

To see if I knew how to work the tool bar, I downloaded one of my Kindle books.  I have 368 books and have actually read about 20 or 30% of them.  One that I haven't read is "Anger" by the world-reknown Vietnamese Buddhist Thich Naht Hanh.  I more or less picked a place at random and found the following quote, which I will write about tomorrow. (It is about quieting anger as opposed to arguing. I love the statement "That is not wise.")

If your house is on fire, the most urgent thing to do is to go back and try to put out the fire, not to run after the person you believe to be the arsonist. If you run after the person you suspect has burned your house, your house will burn down while you are chasing him or her. That is not wise. You must go back and put out the fire. So when you are angry, if you continue to interact with or argue with the other person, if you try to punish her, you are acting exactly like someone who runs after the arsonist while everything goes up in flames.


Hanh, Thich (2001). Anger (Kindle Locations 230-233). Riverhead. Kindle Edition.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby