Friday, April 29, 2011

"EH?" or husband-wife auditory communication among seniors with hearing loss

The couple that showed us some of the problems most clearly are both in their 90's.  He can hear almost no speech most of the time.  She has a voice that is weaker all the time, more and more wispy and light.  She makes a comment, "I like those jeans."  He knows she has spoken but hasn't decoded a word.  In a deep bass, his voice cracks out,"What?"  She repeats that she likes the jeans.  He still can't make out what she has said. "What?" Eventually, he grasps what she has said.  He is not overwhelmed with the information and concludes with "Oh."

She doesn't like silence and she has a short memory, just as he does.  In a short while, she realizes that she likes those jeans.  In a light, wispy, hard-to-hear voice, she says," I like those jeans." He can't make out …  By now, you may get the idea.  If not, repeat the text a few more times on the page and read it all aloud.  

Ok, we are not that bad off.  Yet.  I have hearing aids and was just told to wear them since they provide more input to my ears and brain and will assist them in staying on the task of hearing and understanding the speech of others.  However, as a friend said the other day, this sort of situation sure cuts down on the intimate chitchat that builds a relationship and maintains a couple's closeness.

If my wife and I are in a conversation, I can tell what she says.  However, if we are not in the same room of our small house and she wants to tell me something, I will usually fail to understand her.  I usually have to ask her to repeat what she said.  As my friend said, saying some little thing over a second time tends to take some of the spontaneous juice out it.  If it is an endearment, the repeat is a little less ardent.  

Sometimes, I have a set of words in my head that I think I heard but I know they make no sense and have a very high probability of not being what she said.  If I haven't had to ask her to repeat her words in the last 45 minutes, I may ask her what she said.  If I am already getting tiresome, I can sometimes lighten the mood by using a voice tone that says I am quoting what seemed to be her statement:"The pigs are a beautiful color today".  I know damned well that is not what she said but it did sound that way to me.  When she hears my version of her message, it breaks her up.  

So far, she is still willing to talk to me.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby