Wednesday, April 20, 2011

books and audiobooks loaned online by local library

I am quite excited to find that my local library is now loaning ebooks online.  It also loans audiobooks online.  The Barnes and Noble reader "Nook" and the Sony ebook reader have been mentioned as capable of using the downloaded ebook files.  I haven't tried these capabilities out yet.

As I understand it, I download files of books or audiobooks to my computer and either use them on my computer or transfer them to a handy device such as a Nook, an iPod, an iPad or a Sony Reader.  The iPad is probably the most versatile of the four devices I have just listed.  However, new capabilities are being devised for devices and new devices are being invented all the time.  The Amazon Kindle is explicitly mentioned as NOT being capable of using borrowed ebooks or e-audiobooks. 

A friend at lunch asked how it would be possible to load out something in electronic form that is copyrighted.  I have heard of libraries in several part of the country doing such electronic lending and I am guessing that the file will only be usable for the 7 or 14 day loan period, after which it would become unusable.  I think fines and overdue dates will still apply.   Such tools would enable libraries to loan things without completely removing all digital rights management, as happened with the Napster software and music files a couple of years ago.


Several of my friends who are my age have complained recently that they are not in the mood for any further complexity, any new devices of any kind to do anything.  I can understand and sympathize with that position.  To me, it is not just a question of being turned off by the prospect of learning yet another device for yet another service or activity.  Between various tv and movie possibilities, various reading possibilities, various writing, filming and creative possibilities, there is little time left over to live, to enjoy a book or a movie or to write.  Too many menus and too little eating.

Not only are new services and experiences available in a steady and irritating stream, but the rate of change and innovation makes me wonder about reliability and continuity.  I am old enough to have seen friends move, retire or die, to see institutions change, consolidate or close that I am aware of the question of duration: If I learn something new and begin using it, how long before a new version emerges or something else requires new learning of superficialities that are supposed to broaden my life but actually keep me spending time on manuals and keyboards and passwords.

I have been a fairly ardent user and explorer of digital media and machines for more than a quarter of century.  So, when I am tiring of new deals and new devices and new interfaces and new procedures, I am confident that others are, too, or soon will be.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby