Friday, October 15, 2010

Halt!

It can be a shock to suddenly find time on your hands.  Sometimes, a store opens half an hour later than I thought.  I arrive and find the door locked.  The opening comes too soon to do anything much but wait.  So, I suddenly have time.  What to do with it?  

This is a good Zen moment.  I could meditate.  Sometimes, I do.  But often it pays to simply sit or walk or stand.  It can be interesting to see what comes to mind.  
  1. Body sensations: does that shoulder hurt?  Are my ears ringing?  
  2. Memory: what was I thinking of looking at in the store?  What did I see on tv yesterday?
  3. Emotions: Am I surprised that I am suddenly in neutral, doing nothing?  Am I annoyed?  Am I pleased with the chance to see what comes to mind and feelings?  This is an unexpected moment, with unexpected contents and it will never come again, just this way at just this time.
  4. Plans: what should I write about on my next post?
  5. My senses: what do I see?  Could I draw something on paper what would have enough detail to indicate the scene in front of me?  What sounds can I hear at the moment?
  6. Emptiness: Can I simply sit or stand and put thought of all kinds on hold?  Am I able to just BE for a little while?

It can be a shock to come to a sudden pause but such a moment can be a gift, a refresher, a viewpoint into myself and my life and the lives around me, from here to the Chilean mines.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby