Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saying the Actual Truth

I have a friend who found Buddhism worth deep personal immersion.  We both had the same wonderful boss.  When it came time for them to part ways, the first gave the second “Offerings: Buddhist Wisdom for Every Day”.  It is a large book with photographs by Olivier Follmi on alternate pages with quotations from Buddhist writers and thinkers.  The boss showed me the book and now Lynn keeps her copy open to the day’s saying on her dresser.  I use the dresser for pouring her coffee into her mug each morning.  About half the time, the day’s quote lights up my mind.  The ones that do that the most are often from Jack Kornfield or Pema Chodron, both Americans. 
 
I have found that reading old philosophers does not help my life much.  It is valuable to know that the ancient Greeks felt that doing things in moderation was an important component of happiness.  But my general experience has been more like Thoreau’s that old sources have limited knowledge and limited applicability to me.  It may be that prejudice is actually my guide but modern Americans, in my times and in my society, speak to me more usefully than older thinkers in more distant and different periods. 
 
I know that many good movies, old and new, are waiting somewhere for me to discover them.  So, I succumbed for the third time to Netflix ads.  The other night, I rejoined them and ordered Last Chance Harvey and Burn After Reading, along with 5 or 6 other movies.  We generally get pretty good advice from AARP’s Movies for Grownups column.  We watched Dustin Hoffman wrestle with issues while getting and giving help to Emma Thompson.  They kept finding in exploring what they were able to tell each other about their lives that the refreshing and strengthening thing was the opportunity to ask direct, unguarded questions about each other.  Questions that closer, more “sensitive” relatives know are hot buttons or tender topics that are to be avoided.  Having the direct, simple question asked with interest and giving a direct honest answer was healing, energizing, loving.
 
Pema Chodron’s quote today is:
“Suffering begins to dissolve when we can question the belief or the hope that there’s anything to hide.”
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby