Friday, May 1, 2009

So, what in the heck am I doing anyway?

 
As I wrote http://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2009/04/getting-together.html, I wanted to try writing more often and I did during April.  I found that regular writing is different socially from very occasional contacts.  Plus, daily writing imposes an internal discipline and a challenge that is not there with more casual writing. 
 
The blog, any blog, is more or less a regular column, like a syndicated columnist in a newspaper.  It might have any sort of theme or focus.  Mine was just ideas I wanted to enunciate clearly.  Since it is from me, books and ideas and communication technology will loom large.  Except for Sudoku, I don't think I mentioned games, video, computer, jigsaw, or other.  I didn't mention cars or their repair.  I don't think I mentioned home construction or decorating.  But I know people who are into games and cars and homes and dozens of other things. 
 
I know from experience and just thinking that the people I have been emailing are clever, articulate and wise.  I was looking for a way for them to interact a bit.  So, when I saw the Ning system, I thought it might be useful.  I have taught many courses online where the students are far-flung and don't meet each other and have not ever met me.  I know that different recipients have different ideas and potential contributions. So, I am looking for inviting ways for people to throw in a few words.
 
However, I know from face to face classes (a funny term in wide use even though no faces ever touched any other faces in my classes), that the majority of people are not inclined to comment.  If I said to them, "______, what you think of what has been said?" they would often respond with wonderful insights.  I also found that a good portion of those who did contribute without prompting were inclined to hog up the airwaves a bit.  Those on the fence between saying something and not were probably further turned off for fear of being classed with the overtalkers.
 
When you add the very strong general busy-ness of everyone today, it is not surprising that people might feel uninterested in writing.  I know of a group that got tired of reading long messages from a few members and re-formed elsewhere to avoid those responsible.  On top of that, scams, phishes and computer viruses are all good reasons to avoid getting into something complex and not totally transparent.  I tried to remove the ads on the Ning pages when I set Mellows up but I couldn't.  Now I find that for a fee (amount as yet unclear), I might be able to.
 
For my next post, I will write about other subjects, not this stuff on computer communication.  Not that interesting in the long run.
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby