Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Funny Friends

I did tell Bob that I loved him.  He was right in the middle of that meeting and couldn’t go into the matter with others all around.  He called back later that evening and asked me if I wanted to go to Iowa and make our love official.  He did warn me that he had lifted the idea from President O.  He also warned that his current life-long marriage and mine meant that we would have to take our wives along.  This is the guy who keeps urging me to write about Lynn, whom he admits he would rather hear about than me.  I checked with his wife.  Both women advise us to go slow and maybe let the situation develop informally for somewhere around another 50 years before taking any serious steps.
 
Yesterday, the 12th, I wrote something for the next day but mishandled the post and accidentally sent it.  I wanted to write a short apologetic note stating that I didn’t want to overdo mailings and I mishandled that note, too!  My friend from New Hampshire thinks it is funny that both posts related to the title “I Can’t Concentrate.”  The more I think about it, the more I agree.
 
Fifty years ago, I lived in an all men’s dorm on a college campus.  Every now and then, a small group would gather by chance in the basement and watch a movie.  It didn’t matter much what movie it was.  No sooner had the title come up and somebody would make a smart remark about the wording or the setting or a comparison with something else.  That remark might be funny or not, but it was sure to inspire rival commentators in the group to put on their thinking caps and think of further witticisms.  Eventually, the humor would really start flowing.  That’s what happens with enough commentators.  The smarts level rises.
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby