Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guest author today - why it is difficult to find time

Dr. Victoria McGlone is an academic librarian in Florida.  She is interested in commenting and writing more but explains why it is difficult to find the time.  I thought her statement might be typical of many people.  Dr. McGlone is a member of the recently created Ning network "Mellows" if you want to respond to her.  If you become interested in the network but can't find the invitation email I sent you, let me know and I will send another
 
==========================================================================
Spinning Life by Dr. Victoria McGlone
 
I do read your blog and enjoy your comments very much.  On many occasions I have tried to post to the Ning comment you posted for me, but my life is horribly hectic and I can't seem to do even that without an interruption.  Please know that I am extremely grateful to be included in your list!  I consider it an honor. I love learning new things, and I learn something new from your every post.  I admire your courage in putting yourself out there for the world to see.  I value your opinions and your wisdom.
 
Here are a few of the reasons why my life keeps interfering:
 
I work at least 40 hours a week at my library, and I have 45 minute commute each way.
I teach an online class with some very needy students, many of whom have never taken an online class (read:  I get a TON of emails from my students!!!).
My son, who was recently arrested for felony possession of Oxycontin, has moved back home and needs a lot of my emotional attention and assurance of my love.  I fear for his life if we don't get past this.
My best friend is an alcoholic.  'Nuff said.
I am my faculty union secretary, grievance representative, and I serve on the negotiating team.  We started negotiations for our new contract last week, which was also the first week of classes for the summer term.
I am, as I promised myself, taking a remedial math course this summer two nights a week in an attempt to get over the severe math phobia that has paralyzed me my entire life.  I promised myself that when I finished my Ph.D., I would work on that.
I am on more committees than I can count, and am particularly involved in a massive General Education Review at my college.
I am a housewife, whose job includes cooking, cleaning, laundry, and all other duties as assigned.  We have no cleaning people, lawn people, pool people:  we are those people.
I am in the middle of menopause, which makes every little annoyance a thousand times worse!!!!
Because I spend so much time on the computer doing my job, I try to avoid spending too much time with it while I am away from my job.  Sometimes it feels as though my entire life revolves around this damned thing.
 
I could go on and on and on, but, you get the picture.  Please don't stop writing!!!  When my world stops spinning so fast, I'll be right there with you.
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby