Friday, August 6, 2010

Tossed; Google-play

Tossed her over the fence!
We went to our local farmers' market.  One vendor sells bison meat.  She had a couple of bison horns on her table and I asked her about them.  One was $15 but the other was not for sale.  It meant too much to her.  Why?  It came from a female who contracted circling disease, a brain virus that caused endless turning in a circle.  She was cured of the disease but the herd still rejected her and did so permanently.  When she tried to be part of the group, a big male lifted her off the ground with his head and tossed her over the fence!  She weighed 1100 lbs!  They kept wondering how she got out of the fenced area but found the answer when they saw the male toss her.

Fooling with Google this and that
Maybe you know that the Google firm has the motto "Don't Be Evil".  That fact by itself makes many people nervous about the giant well-heeled company.  However, I still find lots to like.  They have so many services and projects, it is nearly a full-time job just finding out about them.This morning I saw a reference to Google Wonder Wheel which I had never heard of.  Put the words in Google and get some info if you wish.  If you know what it is called a mindmap or a word web, that's what it is.

While exploring the page of Google things, which does not list everything (like it doesn't list Google Wonder Wheel), I decided to try Google Voice again.  I did and now I have a single number to ring all our phones at once!  I didn't use that option but I can give it out to those I want and try to control who has it and uses it.  I also tried Google Reader Play, a series of flips or slides that show interesting things.  I get to say which things I like.  They are chosen for imaginativeness or shock value but seem to be in pretty good taste.  One item that stayed with me was a comparison of the fears expressed by George Orwell in "1984" and such v. those expressed by Aldus Huxley in "Brave New World".  It is a short comic but is not funny and might give you something else to worry about.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby