Friday, August 20, 2010

A Chinese blessing

I have read that an old Chinese curse is "May you live in interesting times."  I propose to the Chinese that they adopt the following as a Chinese blessing for men:"May you marry an interesting wife."  Men who get this blessing should look to their health habits, since an interesting wife requires being in good shape.  She and her ideas and activities also require flexibility.

I know because I myself have an interesting wife.  This fact was borne in on me when we attended an marriage enrichment weekend.  We were asked to introduce our partner to the group and tell some signature things about her.  As I reflected on the aspects of her that I should mention, I was struck by the breadth of her interests, talents and accomplishments.

We sometimes use a 4-part scheme in describing human personality.
  1. Rule-followers who focus on their obligations and duties
  2. Those with strong emotions, sensitive to emotions in themselves and all others. interested in all the arts
  3. Game-sters interested in action, games, winning and jokes
  4. Thinkers who like to ponder and analyze

As I considered my own interesting wife, I realized that she has good credentials in all of these directions.
  1. A strong Lutheran for 40 years who started out running to her mother in tears as a young girl because she had thought 'naughty words
  2. A vibrant engine of feelings of her own and readings and sensings of others, a dancer, a painter, a poet, a potter, a decorater, a musician
  3. A tough tennis player, a rigorous Scrabble opponent, a wrestler of Sudoku
  4. A PhD from a highly respected school, an author
Don't kid yourself.  I have plenty of additional evidence for each line.

My advice to young men: grab one such if you are lucky enough!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby