Thursday, August 20, 2009

Soothing, velvety love

When I had a serious operation a few years ago, I had to lie in the hospital and heal.  The famous queue of staff trooped in and out.  I needed them and I am grateful to them. 
 
Some of the women spoke to me in a singsong, melodious way close to what they might use with an infant.  Being over 60 at the time, I noticed.  Being male, I was dismissive of such an approach.  Here I was a manly man being treated like a baby. 
 
Then, I noticed that the stone-faced and silent ones were being labeled by me as more or less being part of the furniture.  Nice, handy, useful but dull and automatic.  I noticed that part of me looked forward to the singsong lady with her velvet and bell-like tone and trite, smooth inquiry about how we were doing today. I realized that I had a positive reaction to her manner, whether or not I thought I should have or needed to have.  I just did.
 
About the same time, I started yoga classes with Jenifer Ebel.  Over time, I learned that Jenifer often used the same very rich, soothing, there-is-no-problem-of-any-kind approach.  She knows her yoga, theory and practice both.  She also knows people.  I saw that she helped anyone, no matter how disabled, how stiff, how limited by age or injury, how worried, embarrassed or scared.  I have had other instructors since then.  I am the robotic, cognitive type.  My conscious mind and I tend to be comfortable with a no-nonsense vocabulary and a straightforward, flat delivery.  I get the feeling that for types like me that sort of personality works fine but not for me or for anyone when they are afraid and tense and wary.
 
Now, I have worked with Mary Elizabeth Raines, both in person individually and in a group and also by her CD’s.  If you look at the two embedded links, you will see that the site names these two women use include “smiling” and “laughing”.  When Rainey hypnotizes a person or a group, she uses the same sort of voice and words.  Not only is everything fine but the inner you will shine out happily and gladly to reach new heights and joys.
 
I am critical and doubtful so I like more than one source.  I could lose some weight and I noticed the book by Stephen Gurgevich and his wife on using self-hypnosis for diet and food awareness.  I have read several chapters.  I find the same “everything is ok” approach to teaching oneself to enter a trance.
 
It is the same sing-song that mothers use to sooth a baby.  Even though I am no baby, I guess I am still wired to respond positively, with healing and growth to such words, tones and images.  They might be a little embarrassing to a manly man but part of me goes for them.
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby