Thursday, October 8, 2015

My sister's name

We changed routers so we could get a stronger wi-fi signal throughout the house.  Sometimes, when people need names, they may choose one from geography, so there are fonts named "Geneva", "Roman", and "California".  So, one possibility for the name of a network is a place name, such as "Pimlico".  But as with ships, and probably many other things, why not use a woman's name? Women's names, like women's voices, can have a calming effect, as Apple's Siri or  Micrsoft's Cortana. I named our first network after my wife.  Our 2nd one, I used my sister's name.


There are plenty of news articles about the names of local networks which are often rude, crude or lewd.  I don't find profanity or references to human body parts funny or freeing.  I can use them when they are called for but I like more neutral terms.


Things were fine until I tried to print.  The printer is connected to her computer with a wire but mine connected wirelessly.  It didn't occur to me that I was going to have to wrestle with the printer until a week or so ago.  Then, I realized that the printer still looked for the old network to hook up with my computer.  I needed to tell it to forget that and use the new one.  The printer, like many other objects today, has no screen, no voice, no microphone or other hearing device.  Ok, I need to tell our printer,"Forget the old name.  This is the name you should connect with now."


I spent the better part of a couple of days looking for ways to get into computer settings, printer settings and network settings to get that simple message to the stubborn printer.  I searched the manufacturer's web site and called the router help line.  I got ideas, I got sympathy, I got encouragement but I didn't get to print.  Finally, today, in a setting inside a setting behind another setting, I found a little window with my sister's name in it.  I knew that was it!  Typed in the new name, disconnected the temporary wire connection and PRINTED!  As with Samuel Morse in May of 1844, I could have typed "What hath God wrought?"  Being the mundane pedestrian that I am, I just printed "trying to print wirelessly" but I still have the paper if you would like to see it.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby