Friday, October 2, 2015

Fasting

We listened to a dietitian talk about food.  She wanted to show a video from YouTube but had difficulty.  It is this one

How Did We Get Here? - Evolutionary MasterChefs

made by the University of New South Wales in Australia.  That video is much related to this TED talk

http://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain

Both emphasize the evolutionary implications of cooking, which enables humans to get high amounts of calories needed for an energy consuming brain without grazing for nine hours a day.


While looking at these on my computer, I was prompted to look at this TED talk, also on YouTube.  The prompt said How Fasting is Good for our Brains by Mark Mattson of Johns Hopkins University:

Why fasting bolsters brain power: Mark Mattson at TEDxJohnsHopkinsUniversity


I had never heard of any connection between brain health and fasting.  I was intrigued.  I watched it and got more intrigued.  Lynn is interested in brain health and we are both interested in weight loss.  I was interested to learn that fasting can be good for my attitude and for my liver.

 

I fasted a little when I joined the Boy Scouts' Order of the Arrow when I was about 14.  I had to skip some food when I wrestled in high school but I never had the need as a college wrestler.  We have gotten interested in The Fast Diet by Dr. Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer.  There are quite a few books available on the subject of 5:2.


We have a friend who lost quite a bit of weight using the idea of 5:2, five days of eating normally and 2 of only 500 calories for a woman and 600 for a man.  I see that the book has many positive comments and 59% of 1643 commenters gave it 5 stars.  


We could certainly use some weight loss but I am as interested in my mood, the challenge, the general health benefits.  I am surprised to learn there are some specific benefits for the brain and the liver.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby