Friday, October 16, 2015

Music and books through the air

I am listening to Joseph Menn's "All the Rave: The Rise and Fall of Shawn Fanning's Napster", the peer to peer file sharing service that began in the summer of 1999 and ceased operation in 2002 amid rigorous lawsuits. I am interested in music and the changes wrought by technology.  I don't listen to much modern music.  I happened to catch the pair of singers called Mamuse on Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion so we have their album "All the Way" on our iPods and I listen to that once in a while.  Otherwise, it is Mozart, Rossini and Beethoven and their ilk.  

I used television, email, and web pages to teach for about a decade and I was my campus's first director of academic computing.  I am interested in new technology and I know new inventions can have sudden and gripping effects, quickly turning a business upside down.  Futurists like to imagine the best firm in the US for making buggy whips and the effect on their business of the founding and growth of the automobile industry.    


I try to keep my eye on ebooks, as sold by Amazon for Kindle and by Barnes and Noble for Nook.  I am interested in similarities and differences between electronic transmission of books vs. of music.  In both cases, adding in files sent over the internet to equipment that can show or play them has definitely changed the business or buying opportunities.


As I understand it, music has never been a high-paying possibilities for most musicians so I think it is especially important not to steal copyrighted music.  I can't see using software that strips out the digital rights management parts of recordings or files of books, which is unequivocally stealing and immoral behavior.  When music or writing is offered freely for no money, that is a different situation.  I write this blog for free but no one can see it unless they have access to the internet or email, which requires money.  A big difference between my work and that of most musicians and writers is I am not trying to make a living from my writing.  


I love that I can get books and music from the air.  Just about all my music came from CD's before I loaded it into iTunes.  A little of it was downloaded in mp3 or mp4 format and paid for.  I try steadily to avoid buying a paper book.  I only want those that are in Kindle form, which is free of weight, the need for physical space or doesn't need dusting.






--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby