Thursday, October 15, 2015

Growing e-library

I have about 300 paper books here and about 1800 Kindle e-books.  Is that a good idea?  I think it might be a good idea for me but not for you.  To me, alot depends on what buying, having and using a collection of ebooks means to the user.  I like having the books right at hand.  I admit there are more than I can remember buying.

 

I went to the library yesterday to attend a talk.  Walking through the main room, I saw a display of books that the library is seeking sponsorship for.  One of them is "War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death".  That sounded interesting and relevant to both my interests and those of my wife and some of my friends.  Now, I have the book in my Kindle.


It takes about a minute to download a Kindle book from Amazon, once you get yourself an account logon and password.  Recently, I found that some books have a download limit which means you can only download the book up to a given number of times.  I haven't tried rigorously to find the download limit on my Kindle books.  The one that had a limit which I reached was "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor.  I don't know what the limit was but I got a computer message that I had reached it and needed to buy another copy if I wanted to put it on more devices.


I have a basic Kindle and use it as the default download device.  But I do most of my Kindle reading on an iPad mini with the Kindle free app installed.  With the right setting, that device is the fastest for quickly browsing the titles I have.  If I know what I am after, the search feature is fastest.  There are times when I have the title or author wrong and I can't find what I what.  Then, I browse through the titles or use Amazon or Google to find the title or author.


My friend started reading the excellent Pema Chodron on "Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change."  I thought I wanted the book and would get to it right after the five or so I am reading now. I went to Amazon and started to order the book.  I got a message that I had purchased the book in 2013.  That sort of thing doesn't surprise me.  I am the guy who had a book for a long time that I hadn't read.  Decided I might as well give it to the public library and did.  They had a sale.  I went to it and looked through the books available.  Found a book I thought I would like to have and paid the $5.  Took it home and started reading.  On the inside cover was my name.  I had donated it to the library!  I had repurchased my own book!


This was not the first time I got a message that I already had the book.  It is like my secretary reminding me of something.  I appreciate the service and I don't expect myself to always remember which books I have.  I also have more than 1200 books on a "wish" list in case I can't find anything to buy.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby