Thursday, April 24, 2014

Dr. Anastasi and loveology

This man has been my model since my 20's.  Part of me is a bean counter, an auditor, the person who expects trouble and suspects all possible sources of hatching some. When I went to college, I was in the grip of fervor.  By Heaven, I was determined, super-determined, ultra-determined to learn, really learn, every crumb of stuff needed to be a good teacher.  No, a great teacher!  In fact, THE FINEST TEACHER EVER!  EVER! EVER, EVER!


I had no idea at all that a more relaxed, loving stance might be more effective.  I was gung-ho, rah-rah, really ready to hit 'em hard.  I had no idea that they might not want to be hit hard.  That maybe more silence, more open-eyed, sympathetic seeing might be more effective, more productive, more helpful.  I seized on every word uttered and written, looking for evidence, for logic, for verification, for tight theory and clever concepts.  Meanwhile Bob was smiling, appreciating, radiating calm and common sense, glowing with friendliness and approachability.


He does fewer layups and lacrosse body checks these days but he still radiates love, appreciation,  He still points out the connection between love and service and joy and I am still learning from the man.  Thank you, Dr. A!



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby