Sunday, February 19, 2012

Horrors - Yum!

I'm not sure why they do it.  I ought to be because I do it, too.  I get in the mood for a little vegging in front to the set and turn on something.  I'm not a fan of unreality shows and there are several comedies that haven't appealed so I bet on The Goods vs.The Bads.  You know, the show where all the hard-bitten guys are both heroic and stoic but models of male beauty.  They have a couple of female colleagues who are experts at karate and shooting guns and bazookas.  There aren't many women who have devoted time and energy to mastering such skills and there are only these two who are also ex-models for lingerie, which they still wear while catching baddies.  Helps distract low-level criminals who eye the bosoms and thighs instead of tending to business.

So far, not good but ok.  Things heat up and a team is sent to a crime scene.  This is the part I have trouble with.  The crime scene writers, make-up artists, sound men and related contributors are in a competition with similar members of the casts of other shows.  Whoever makes more of the audience vomit or seek psychiatric relief from nightmares wins the industry prize and gains enormous prestige.  Therefore, the crime scene turns out to be especially gruesome, shocking, bloody, sick, horrible, upsetting, and other industry-sought adjectives.  It is never just a victim stabbed or shot.  It is much worse than that.  In fact, you won't believe it is so bad.   Here, let us show you.  See how, in the background there, the young inexperienced agent who hasn't see that much make-up and stagecraft before is sitting on the curb with his head in his hands.  Isn't it delicious how horrified he is?

There are times when I have the fortitude to turn the set off and just sit or let the notes of The Elixir of Love wash out my brain.  But sometimes I keep viewing.  Why do I do it?  Why expose my frail mind to depictions of horror as a pastime? I guess I am glad I am not (yet) the victim and haven't experienced the pain and horror that the victim did.  I guess grasping the extra care the bad guy put into being bad and evil and malevolent and cruel helps me feel even happier when he is captured and put away on the frying hallway until later in the decade.  I do understand that I am wired, actually evolved for difficulties and challenges.  I've tried the knitting channel and it doesn't hold my interest.  As I age and my experience with crime scene writing and photography and sound effects grows, I am more able and willing to sit quietly in a corner doing nothing.  I always pick a well-lit corner.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby