Wednesday, February 15, 2012

no-brainer

A good friend who knew me in college wrote passionately that she strongly advised me not to think so much.  Her advice sounded very much like the typical advice for retiring: relax and enjoy the experience.  She was so strong and clear in her message that I have switched off my brain for a while.  I actually leave it switched off quite a bit.  In fact, I write daily just to spend some time with it switched on.  

I realize that much of what passes through my mind is just chatter, just the wind blowing through the trees, not all that significant.  One reminder of the lightness of being is the daily hour.  I tend to feel sleepy at night whether my brain tells me to or not.  We want coffee within 15 minutes or so after waking up.  About the same time each morning, I start feeling the need for some breakfast. I go through the days and the years without actually paying much attention to my thoughts.  I like to think that my genius brain stimulates, encourages and inspires me but the truth is that life flows along like earth's water cycle, up and down rhythmically with or without my thoughts.  

The truly basic stuff, eating and sleeping, seems to flow on very well without examination, despite Socrates' famous advice about the worth of the unexamined life.  Often examination is fun but like all fun, it is not something you want to do all the time.

--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby