Monday, January 2, 2012

Review, now, and soon

review of main events of 1959

   reviews of any year can take place at any time
   I am always suspicious of them: what's seems big at their end might not 10 years later.  In fact, there is no "maybe" about it.  One of the fascinating things about past events is that they change over the years in their importance and their implications.  I do applaud the practice of taking time to think back over memories and records, which do not always agree.

A potpourri of ideas and prompts, since I have so many waiting and aging

I often get an idea for a blog post and I have a file of notes of possibilities.  Just now, it has 125 entries.  They are kept in the order of their birth.   If they get too old, they lose their shine.  Here is a selection.

old:

I am a planner as are many people I know.  Plans are guides but they also restrict.  However, avoidance of plans has a price, too.  Wadda ya gonna do?  It is one of the fundamental human dilemmas and one of the most basic in this age of opportunity and related stresses.


middle age:

Winter is fallow time in an agricultural community.  Things rest, die, renew.  Don't forget that for all our sophisticated science, we still eat plants or things that eat plants.  We still need plants to live.


young:

Evolution is a hot topic, partly because we feel we are too noble to be crude relatives of chimps and partly because we are curious to know how this whole business came about.  But a related hot topic is emerging: "evo devo", evolutionary development or how babies develop in the womb and later, in all species and how the process has changed over the eons of time.


just born:

I've fallen in love with pressure cooking.  The whole subject of cooking with greater than normal atmospheric pressure is interesting.  I asked for a pressure cooker for Christmas a couple of years ago and used it a few times.  Then, it just sat in our cupboard for months.  I have been thinking of taking one of my cooking-dinner days to use it again.  Cabbage, apples, onion and ham reading in four minutes of 15 lb pressure.  Neat!  Tonight it's lentil curry. Once it gets up to pressure, three minutes but then natural cooling as opposed to running cool water over the cooker.


In the middle of February or thereabouts, I will have written 1000 posts for this blog.  I intend to print them all out in a book for my own satisfaction.  That is counting each dated entry separately even though some are only a link to something else and a few were not posted on their own days but on the same day as another post.  


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby