Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Silly Book Thief and us all

The Silly Book Thief and us all - he wants possession, thinking that will enhance his life and his social status.  We do the same thing, too, just not with rare books, but other possessions and achievements.  If I ran a marathon, I would be better than I am.  If I lost weight, I would be better than I am.  If I read what is in my own library instead of just shelving stuff, I will be better than I am.

The book thief risked his freedom and reputation to acquire rare books that seemed to him to enhance his value if he possessed them on his shelf.  But when a dozen stolen books didn't do the trick, he took dozens more.

Elizabeth Gilbert writes the lovely phrase that "humans have difficulty sustaining contentment."  The fact that we have that trouble is the cornerstone of Buddhist practice.  We are satisfied with a wonderful meal, but we become hungry again.  We love these new slacks but soon the thrill wears off and we contemplate the joys of a new sweater.  Sometimes there is a grain of truth in the idea that it will be so much better when...
    When we have that new jacket that goes so well with our eyes
    When we have that new car that rides so smoothly and emphasized our status
    When I lose 10 lbs.

Just a little reflection will tell us that only a few of our friends will even notice the new jacket.  The first ding or scratch of the new car saddens us but also allows to begin disconnecting our hearts from its tinny glory.  Of course, those moments will serve as a signal for new wants.  Come to think of it, I have been wanting too much.  I will be so much better when I learn to stop that.  Mark Epstein, in "Open to Desire", makes clear that we, and all other animals, do have incessant needs.  We need air to breath, water, food, the right temperature, etc., etc.  As a practicing psychiatrist, he, like Freud, found some of his patients had overdone the notion of squashing all desires.  To have no desire can be the strangulation of joy and pleasure.  But accepting the steady stream of desires is not the same as being caught up successively by the conviction that just one more win, one more drink, one more whatever is bring lasting heaven.  We aren't built that way and neither is life.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby