Friday, January 14, 2022

How busy are we?

Yesterday, we did some unusual things. For instance, we went to the new Cultural Center in the nearby town of Wisconsin Rapids.  Later, Lynn commented that so many things were happening at once.  I immediately began to wonder how many things it was.   I am in the habit of wondering about unusual occurrences: what was the average number of things that happened?  When a busy day happens, what would be a high number of things happening?  What would be a low number?


All through that paragraph, I followed Lynn's language of "things" that happen.  We were both breathing all through the day but breathing, the need to breath, the pace of breathing - those didn't count as "things", topics, tasks of interest, actions we concentrated on.  So, "things" that happen are somewhat similar to items on a to-do list or topics to think and write about.  Thus, "things" are "things" if we recognize them as such.  It is not always just my recognition or yours.  If Martians land and inform us they have come to get sheeps' blood, the landing and our sheeps' blood supply are now a "thing" that matters, too.


I have mentioned that I have 4500 posts on a separate website for this blog at https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com

In the upper left corner of the page is a search window.  You can use that window to search for "Rosenberg", the author of "Breath by Breath".  That's the book that really helped me see how powerful and useful paying attention or not paying attention can be.  When I am cold or hungry, I can pay attention to my breath, counting out 10 breaths maybe and not pay attention to the cold or the hunger. 


For a recent examination of the idea of attending and attention direction, see Maura Thomas http://getpocket.com/explore/item/to-control-your-life-control-what-you-pay-attention-to

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby