Thursday, January 20, 2022

Greens

Let's hear it for greens.  I am not talking lettuce, although that is a good plant, too.  I came across the line in "Death Comes for the Archbishop" by Willa Cather that some people had not seemed to have heard of that blessed plant, the lettuce.  When I had to lose weight for wrestling, I used lettuce to satisfy my appetite while not gaining pounds.  


The most popular green seems to be spinach.  Lynn told me she much prefers cooked fresh spinach to frozen cooked spinach.  I enjoy buying a plastic bag of fresh spinach, pouring all of it into a frying pan, covering it with a lid and cooking it with a low heat.  In our big, deep frying pan with steep sides, all those leaves barely fit when I empty the bag.  Within six minutes, the leaves have all cooked down, losing their moisture.  The whole bit fits in a cereal bowl and it all gets eaten by two older adults.


I am a fan of kale, preferably fresh kale.  It is a champion food with all sorts of nutrients.  I can't name them and I don't know one nutrient from another but I can feel energy, health and vigor when I eat some kale.  I have eaten kale since childhood and liked it very much.  It has a slightly sweet taste. Not long ago, Lynn put fresh kale in a bowl with parmesan and lemon juice and gave us another great dish.


We eat green beans, brussel sprouts (with yellow mustard but not too much) and broccoli.  We eat broccoli more often than any other green vegetable.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby