Saturday, January 22, 2022

Apps, quarantine, masks, vaccine records

Apps, quarantine, masks, vaccine records - Not known to Capt. James Cook and other explorers sailing in 1768.  We are reading "Sea People" by Christina Thompson.  The author was born in Switzerland and is a dual citizen of the US and Australia.  "Sea People" does an excellent job of comparing European views of the world and human life with Polynesian views as the two met and got to know a bit about each other.


I use a computer just about every hour but I rarely use the Motorola smartphone that Bullis turned me onto.  I did have a Motorola radio when I was a 4th grader and I happily used it to listen to Sky King, Sgt. Preston of the Yukon and the Lone Ranger.  A problem with my smartphone is that it is too big to fit in my pocket.  I did buy a heavy canvas belt sheath for it but it disrupts my shirt and clothes.  The computer works well but I am slowly being dragged into smartphoning.  I just read that maybe 10% of US adults don't access the internet and a larger % of US seniors, that is, old people, don't use the internet.  I understand that the internet can be scary, especially with buttons and links that you don't know what they do.  


My daughter encouraged us to get the airline app on our phones.  The app asked me who I was but it kept saying it couldn't find me and actually doubted that I existed.  I checked and my wife verified and confirmed and witnessed my existence.  I tried other numbers and identifiers and finally got recognized. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby