Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A day with an app

When I first studied computing, we tended to refer to some computer directions that, taken together, would accomplish a goal, as a "program".  These days, the preferred word is "app", from "application", as in "an application of warm water and soap will get my hands clean."  It is the same idea either way: use this set of directions to accomplish this result.  Sometime in the fall of 2012, my daughter stopped by and said she wished she had a tablet, mostly to play games on.  A while later, I got my first iPad.


By then, the app and the app store were part of common talk.  The only app I use much of each day is the Kindle app.  Just today, a friend said the same thing I have heard before: It isn't that easy to read a book on a Kindle reader or an iPad, especially if you want to mark up a page.  I disagree strongly.  In a flash, I can use my fingertip to highlight any passage on a Kindle or iPad.  Besides, I can and do transmit that passage with a short comment to Twitter and to Goodreads.

But an app that I use quite often is the Weather Channel app.  Yesterday, we had a cold rain all day.  The weather app gives the current temperature in our area although it might be actually from the airport or atop one of the school buildings. Some practical people wonder why anyone with common sense would use an app.  Just look out the window!


This is an odd winter because of El Nino, a patch of the southern Pacific ocean that gets extra warm every so often.  That warmth changes the winds and the upper part of the Midwest US gets warmer than usual, too.  Warm can be sun and fun but in winter, it often means rain instead of snow.  The Weather Channel app gives elaborate readings on as many sites as you want to enter.  I have been keeping here, a little town not far away, and New York City in the app.  The app has 5 subparts including national and international weather related news and nine types of radar, such as recent and predicted and cloud cover.


When I am trying to fit in a short run, the radar and the wind speed help me to get out and back without being too cold or too hot or too wet or hurting myself on ice patches.  On days I do a short run, I usually have it done before 7:30 but yesterday it was late afternoon before I managed to fit between rain clouds.  The app helps me time my outdoor exercise.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby