Monday, December 7, 2015

What am I thinking right now?

Some people have difficulty with the present, the time that is now.  Yogi Berra was asked what time it was and he said,"You mean, now?"

Because our brains and nerve transmissions and our muscles take a little time, it can be frustrating to try to experience the now. By the time, I can think "Now!", that moment has changed into a later one.  I can't capture the genuine now. I am always a little late.


But I acknowledge that the time has always slipped a little since I thought of it.  That tiny bit isn't much of a worry.  I can just about make up for the slippage with my memory of the very recent time.  What difference does the whole business make?  It makes a surprisingly big difference.


When I am quite current in my awareness of my thinking, I tend to free myself of problems, of bothers, of worries.  When I am aware of what I am thinking NOW, conscious that NOW I am jealous, afraid, grouchy, sleepy, I am often able to SEE how I am being.  That gives me a chance to change moods if I want.  When I am being pessimistic and I can tell that I am, I get a chance to ask myself if I would like to drop the pessimism.  I often do feel like dropping a bad mood.  I decide not to sustain it.  When I give myself a chance to consider a bad mood's value, its justification, its payoff, the balance tips in favor of just letting it slide off into oblivion.   


When I get caught up in the story of the mood, how he, they, she did such and such, how he, they, she really ought to know better, blah, blah, blad, I get distracted by the details of the matter.  I don't get the chance to use my bigger, stronger overall mood muscles to just toss the whole deal into the bin.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby