Saturday, September 27, 2014

Math of sleep

90 minute cycles, need 5 cycles = 450 minutes or 7.5 hours

Sounds can help getting us to sleep.

Be punctual about bedtime.

Don't skimp on sleep.


I have been interested in sleep since the 2nd grade.  One day, it seemed like my brain wasn't working.  The word "apple" completely stumped me.  I knew I knew it the day before. Mom said I had gotten little sleep because of family events.  That was my introduction to the importance of sleep.  Later, I read how the other side kept our heroic and innocent spies awake to torture them and extract information.  In the real world, I could see which of my 5th graders got to be on time and which didn't by the quality of their papers.


A couple of years ago, I found "The Universal Sense" by Seth Horowitz, PhD, a neuroscientist and sound expert.  That lead me to Sleep Genius, the app and Sleep Genius the web site and company.  I was suspicious of the power of sound but then I thought of what happens when I heard a Strauss waltz well played or some words of love spoken in my ear.  I admire the Schubert adagio D956.  The power of sound shows in the 2005 movie Joyeux Noel, when a woman's voice floats out over the WW I battlefield.


Sleep Genius plays music that is supposed to lull a person to sleep and about 7 of 10 times, it does for me.  If I wake up at 4:30, I realize I need another of the 90-minute cycle of sleep, snuggle back down and get it.  My sleep and my nights seem to make more sense when I think in terms of 90 minute cycles but it has take a little work to feel comfortable with such hour and a half periods.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby