Saturday, September 20, 2014

Learning about social media

The director of the CCIT lab, Dr. Kristi Roth, where I am a volunteer, asked me to work on the social media accounts for the lab.  I met with the social media person for the entire college, one of four colleges in the local university. I am always amazed by what is going on in the world.  I wrote a post in this blog in March of this year  that includes a link to the Wikipedia article on social media and social networks on the web and connected by computer. That article lists more than 200 social networks, most of which you probably never heard of.  The college social media agent said that she had gotten knowledge and contacts that increased her professional knowledge and worth through social media.  


I am on Twitter but not Facebook because I didn't like the way it operated.  That might be a mistake since just about everyone is on Facebook.  As the dean of the college told me, his own children are all of the social networks I could name.  He stays up to date on that publishing and posting through his wife, the same way I do.  I asked the social media agent for the college if she thought most of the 10,000 students on campus used Facebook and Twitter.  She said she felt that might be but she said she gets the impression that Instagram is coming up fast.


LinkedIn, Pinterest and Google Plus are all working to reach the billion users Facebook has.  Meanwhile, there is a lot to learn and to think about on this subject.  Here is an Amazon page of books about social networks.  Of course, there are always new developments to learn about.  The social media agent introduced me to Doodle, which is online software, where more and more software resides these.  It is a tool for finding a date for a meeting between people with complex calendars in diverse organizations and settings.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby