Friday, September 26, 2014

Getting into YouTube

I am exploring a little of YouTube.  I made this video because I needed something to practice annotating.  Dr. Roth, the director of the UWSP CCIT lab where I am doing a little volunteering, asked me to learn to insert annotations into videos.  It seems that you can see the written title, a small blue bubble and what is called a "spotlight"(a yellow rectangle) if you run this link in the Google browser called Chrome. It is free and easily downloaded to any computer.


Here is the link itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUP_6IFyXzA&list=UU62YVzQb-lNCLUJ7R2EUrng


It can be copied and pasted into the URL (address window ) of any browser (Internet Explorer in Windows/PC, Safari on a Mac, Firefox.  I have run it in Chrome and in Safari and the annotations appear.  They don't in Firefox but it runs all right otherwise.


I just learned that there are channels and subscriptions in YouTube.  So far, I have found subscriptions to be free.  They just mean I get notified of each new item posted  I have a channel but it is called "Bill Kirby".  The trouble with that is that there are two many Bill Kirbys.  My email address is "olderkirby" because Google accepted that as unique and therefore ok for a name.  I don't have big plans to make videos.  


I wondered about Google Radio, where I wouldn't have to worry about my stage makeup (just kidding), the lighting, the camera angle, etc.  There is such a thing but it only means a selection from Google Play music.  I will have to look into podcasts.  Another thing I am interested in learning is how to make a video pause at a given spot, which could be important in instruction.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby