Sunday, March 20, 2011

Weather

Weather  is big all over the world.  Rain, sun, wind, cold - all contribute to  our joys and sorrows.  In Wisconsin, we are very conscious of the weather.  I was surprised when I put "weather" in Google and got nearly  half a TRILLION results!  Clearly weather is a big topic all over the  planet.


Weather  has been on my mind lately.  We had to dodge about and modify our route to get from Texas to home without being trapped by flooded or icy roads.  I saw that Firefox, my favorite browser for its privacy settings, was not available in version 4.0 RC.  Those last two letters stand for "release  candidate", or "nearly ready for everyone."  I like to try new things and  switched to 4.0 but I found that my favorite add-on (from the Weather  Channel, the one that keeps me informed more or less steadily about the  weather) is not available in that version of Firefox.  So, I removed it  and re-installed the latest full release.


Now,  another winter storm threatens to interrupt our plans even though we  don't want it to do that.  Mark Twain, like the Greeks, has a word about  the subject.  He said that everyone complains about the weather but  nobody does anything about it.  In the sense of causation and control, I  guess that is true.  I haven't heard of much starting or stopping of  weather by people.  However, there are other ways to do something about  the weather and one of them is prediction and warning.  


Most  of my life, disparaging jokes about the uselessly inaccurate weather forecasts have been ongoing, something that most of us can agree on and  chuckle over.  I was just told recently that some expert or other had  stated that weather predictions more than a day or two into the future  are very chancy.  Of course, the movement is complicated so that a storm  over there may or may not get over here.  However, knowing that there  is a storm over there at least gives me a warning of the possibility of  it reaching me. Doppler radar and visual predictions of changes of the  national weather pattern certainly give me something to think about  while I am waiting for the sun to come out.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby