Sunday, September 13, 2009

Working in all girls camp

The same high school homeroom teacher that set me on the path toward college and away from enlisting in the armed services surprised me with a quiet conversation during the spring of my senior year.  He said that he owned a girls’ camp in Vermont and that he was offering me a job working there.  I had already worked in a large Boy Scout camp and enjoyed it.  The prospect of a train ride to Vermont was appealing.  The thought of kitchen work and painting buildings and whatnot appealed, too. 
 
It was a different sort of camp from what I had experienced up to then.  For one thing, the campers ranged from about 6 years old to about 16 years old.  For another, they stayed in one place for the whole 8 week season.  And they were all females.  Only the owner, the aged handyman, my young handyman partner and kitchen aide named Jon and I were male.  Many of the girls were quite beautiful but most of those had that air that I read as “pampered rich kid who is already spoiled, egotistical and poisonous”.  I tended to stay away from them.  There was one attractive and sensible member of the staff I liked.  We walked and flirted a bit but never saw each other after that first summer.
 
Some of the campers had come to the same camp for many consecutive years and of course, had developed a tender spot for the place.  It was near Hanover, New Hampshire which was a wonderful place to visit and tour the campus of Dartmouth College, a beautiful and historic place, both from early in the days of America and more recently.
 
I had lots of time to read and I enjoyed doing so as much than as I do now.  I read Margaret Mead’s “Sex and Identity” and had time to think about being male and differences between the thoughts of a mother of a boy and of a girl.  I didn’t realize then as clearly as I do now that men and boys have places in them for tenderness and affection but those places are more guarded and protected.  I did get an exposure to the social sensitivity of young women at that camp.  One day I was walking along behind the owner, a gruff-appearing man with a very bass voice.  He passed a trio of girls walking toward him and said,” Good morning, girls”.  After he had passed a few steps, one said to the others with some concern,” I wonder what he meant by that.”  I wanted to yell at them to come off it, that he meant to greet them and that was all.
 
I was invited back for the next year and accepted.  I managed to get my girlfriend a job there, too.  We enjoyed the trip and being away together but were not invited back. 
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby