Friday, May 22, 2015

Lawns and all

We have half an acre for our house and garage, gazebo and shed.  The driveway takes up room, too.  What remains is no western ranch or Australian spread.  That does not stop me using a riding mower. I relish getting the grass cut lickety-split or even faster.  But what takes time is trimming.  We have prairie areas, multiple flower beds and plenty of trees, not to mention the buildings since I already mentioned them.


Trimming is a pain.  I could ignore the need but that would endanger both my marriage and the happiness and feeling of neighborhood acceptance of my wife.  So, I endeavor to do some trimming.  I like the idea of what is called a string trimmer, which is a high speed whirling string of nylon that slices off the weeds and grass along the edges of buildings, steps and beds.  These string trimmers are very popular but they tend to be a pain.


There are two types, gasoline powered and electricity powered.  I have had a gas powered snow-thrower that needs oil mixed with gas to work.  Too much oil and it can't move.  Too much gas and it goes wild, has a heart attack, runs at a ridiculous and unsustainable speed.  Getting the mix just right is a pain, triply so when some of the mix is in the tank and I am trying to guess how much more is needed.  So, gas is out.  Electricity can come from a battery or a line to the house supply.


String trimmers are always losing their string to rocks or other objects and obstacles.  Some are built to advance the string from a spool inside the head and some require a bump on the ground to advance the string.  Both kinds get jammed very easily, mostly from the string still inside the spool getting crossed with itself and unable to advance.  

The one I bought today in another spurt of hope to find a useable one that doesn't put me in a rage is a Black and Decker tool, from Towson, Maryland, where my wife and I met and went to college.  It is also where my grandfather worked for years.  Maybe it will be the answer for a smooth, useable trimmer but I got my doubts.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby