Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Getting some news

I wake up every morning with an empty, hungry mind.  Some of my friends turn on the television news.  We rarely turn on our television set before 7 or 8 PM.  Lynn goes through Facebook and tells me interesting or important news of friends.  I read my email.  Often, the email from friends commenting on the previous day's blog takes up some time and thought for responses.  I get daily newsletters and I am on the lookout for sources that provide what seems both valuable and interesting news and insights.


I get the PEW daily religious newsletter.  I often think it will be boring or too narrow but I keep finding that it is interesting.  I guess it should be no surprise that religion is a very strong force worldwide.  I get Time's newsletter.  It sometimes has interesting news but it is a little too full of ads.  Further, it seems their web coders are using a tool similar to that recently introduced on Netflix, which is continuousness.  Watch a Netflix tv or original with episodes and the next episode will begin whether you want it too or not.  You have to be quick to stop it, although you can stop it at any point if you want.  Similarly, the Time articles run together in what I guess is supposed to be a convenience but is an annoyance for me.


I get various newsletters from the Brookings Institute, chosen by the University of Pennsylvania's review of think tanks as #1 for several years.  Note: there are more than 6,000 think tanks in the world.


I just realized while writing this that I have not been getting the Atlantic's daily newsletter for a while and I don't know why.  I went to their web site and got engrossed in an article on the reasons for San Bernardino, California's municipal bankruptcy.  It seems to be a bad idea of indexing their police and firemen's pay to that of surrounding but wealthier communities.


I don't think I have done any sort of stellar or sweeping review of news and information sources but the question of how to do so interests me.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby