Monday, September 8, 2014

Things may be getting too complicated for us

It is true that our bodies and brains are very complex.  Our brains have more connections than the universe has atoms, or something like that.  But our minds are still more or less at the hunter-gatherer state and we have limited ability to handle complexity and ambiguity. 


I heard that excellent music in the movie.  I wanted to run the movie from Netflix and take a screen shot of the credits listing the pieces.  I opened Netflix but I had to recall my logon and password.  Then, I found the movie but when I clicked in the sideways triangle, the universal symbol for "play" or 'go', a message appeared that said I needed to download Microsoft's Silverlight.  I clicked here to download Silverlight.  I clicked 'install' but the screen said installation could not take place because that version of Silverlight was already installed.  Bother! Tried to find a way to get Netflix to recognize that Silverlight was ready. Couldn't find a way.  Called Netflix and got a very helpful young man.  He helped, I got to see the credits and took a screen shot of them, that is, a photo.  Pasted the photo into Word and printed the page.


When he helped me, I said to him,"I get the feeling that everything is getting too complicated."  He said,"That feeling is absolutely correct."


I have been volunteering in the CCIT, what amounts to an advanced iPad lab on campus.  You may know there are about 1 million apps for iPads and iPhones.  There are some activities, individual and group activities, that can take place in a typical classroom where the students and the teacher are all together in the same room when many, most or all of the students and the teacher have iPads.  I am considering an iPhone but I haven't used one yet.  However, the cost of the equipment and training, the cost of the signal for access to each other and the internet and the distractions of the equipment, alternative uses while the teacher is trying to teach and the complexities of malware, romantic texting, shopping, etc. etc. may be too great to make the whole thing feasible.  We'll see.


Have you gotten a new car lately?  A new tv?  When you do, you will see what I mean.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby