Friday, September 5, 2014

Nature of old age, previous living quarters

E.B. White, famous and admired essayist and author of "Charlotte's Web", wrote a wonderful piece in 1938.  He foresaw the situation where more and more writers wrote and readers could just not keep up.  Now, as we are getting closer to 80 years later, the situation is much, much more difficult.  As David Weinberger wrote in "Too Big to Know", nobody can keep up with the output.  We just have to deal with all the writing and watching opportunities as best we can.  


I use the quick and arbitrary approach: if I am attracted, I read or watch.  If I begin reading, and something else attracts me midstream, I switch horses unless I don't feel like doing so.  


This morning, my friend and Amazon author, Mr. Richard Evans, sent a link to this video from the Kaiser Permanente 2014 conference on aging.  He said it was worth watching and I think that is an understatement.


Mr. Fritz Coleman on the nature of aging

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife has started a new blog, Pix and Memories.  Here is her latest post:

Summer Home


This is where we lived one summer, at Broad Creek Boy Scout Camp, where Bill worked as quartermaster. This two room cabin (sitting room and bedroom) had screen walls on 3 sides with canvas that could be rolled down at night. Beth was 13 months old when we moved in. Toilets were up the hill, showers and laundry across the valley, and we ate at the mess hall with the rest of the staff. Wearing protective clothing, I tore up all the poison ivy in front of the cabin, in an area about 20' x 20'. The peace, beauty, and time with each other and the rest of the staff made it a wonderful and memorable summer.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby