Saturday, July 3, 2010

The pleasures and uses of slow

Most of my life, I am been interested in speed.  I have been impatient.  I always thought that faster was better and as soon as something was completed, over and done, it could be checked off.  

In wrestling, speed counts.  In travel, faster means you can get there and begin having fun sooner.  

I still feel that way much of the time.  I really liked "Faster" by James Gleick.  But, I am finding that there are pleasures in things that are slow, too.

I was bothered by diverticulitis for about 30 years and I am confident that wolfing food and not chewing it well did not help.

I read that the international organization Slow Food was explicitly started to work in the opposite direction from American, and increasingly worldwide, fast food.

I found that having a sore back can sometimes be alleviated by slowing rocking on my back on the floor in a knees-to-chin curled-up position.  With that problem and some other muscle troubles, moving through the range of motion that is painful at normal speed can be helped, sometimes fixed, by a glacially slow but smooth movement through the action in question.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby