Tuesday, August 25, 2026

All A's ???

I taught a course about giving tests and grades in school.  For many teachers, giving grades is a distasteful job.  You like the students but you have to hurt some of them with a low grade.  I came to promote and use an approach to grades that resulted in 100% of the students getting the highest grade, an “A”.  Was I lying about them?  No, I advocated a slight change in the meaning of the grade.


I had earned merit badges as a Boy Scout.  Badges that could be earned were listed in the handbook.  Each badge had ten or so requirements that had to be completed before that badge was given.  It seemed a straightforward approach and I used it in my courses.  


Many people think of a teacher’s grade as something like I suppose St. Peter or one of God’s officers gives at the entrance of Heaven.  I say take a less all-seeing approach.  Lay out what a student is supposed to show an understanding of.  If all the understandings are shown, hand over the badge, I mean, award the high grade for complete achievement.