Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Advanced students lifetime reading

People who have master’s or doctor’s degrees have read much.  So, when teaching teachers who already have master’s but want further credits to qualify for a raise, the subject of all that reading they have done comes up.  I taught a course that focused on a review of all that a student had read, from the Little Golden book, The Pokey Little Puppy, to that horror novel that is keeping her up nights. I think it is fun to reflect on reading that has mattered.  


Attempting to recall reading done, following up on current ideas and habits and trying to nail down memories and authors that influence one’s present state and be useful.  The only assignment for the course was to make a list of all that one has read.  I was not able to check the list but longtime students of mature years were enthusiastically looking through grandparents’ attic at old jr. high and college books for titles they thought they had read, at least a little.