Thursday, June 13, 2024

Mental habits and abilities

I have been reading "The Power, the Glory and the Kingdom: American Evangelicals in an Age of Extremism" by Tim Alberta, a book elected by my book club.  The author is the son of a Protestant Evangelical preacher and seems quite worth reading.  I feel somewhat familiar with the basic approach to religion taken by many American Protestants.  In my early years, my family attended a Baltimore Baptist church. I think I was part of one or two summer vacation Bible school seasons.


I also think I have some feeling for the impulse to try to figure life out.  In graduate school, I had two minors, philosophy and psychology.  As a young professor teaching courses at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point in educational psychology, statistics and grading and testing, I developed an interest in Buddhism and in meditation.  My friend, Professor Larry Riggs, and I took a short course in Myers-Briggs personality types and I learned from Professor Arthur Herman about the differences in the approach to life taken by Buddhism and by Christianity.  There is a famous trio of Americans, Jack Kornfield, and two others, who traveled to the East and studied with priests and religious thinkers.


If you are interested in religion, self-knowledge or figuring yourself and your thoughts out, I suggest going to the blog page:

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com

And using the search box in the upper left corner and search the term "Kornfield".  The results suggest many valuable sources for pondering our lives and thoughts.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby