Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Thinking about the future

I have limited time and patience and so does everybody else.  So, I need to select what to write with limited knowledge of what will be most helpful.  It could be witty, inspiring, relaxing, handy to know.  I need to do this with limited tools and clues.


The most striking thing I have heard today is from an adventurous and intelligent young woman who said, "I want children but I don't want a husband".  We didn't have time to explore more deeply what she meant, what burdens from a husband were seen as impediments or what joys were seen as valuable were likely from being a parent.


Since I am male and she is female, since I am old and she is young, I am likely to hold to all sorts of ideas and experiences that are not to her taste and she to ideas and tastes that differ from me at her age and she from me at mine.  I think it may be helpful to think in detail about desires and associated goals.  It may be helpful to write about feelings, experiences, as well as descriptions of current pictures of the present goals and pleasure, as well as some salient pictures of the desired future.  


As usual, some books come to mind (when don't they??) that may be helpful.  "Incognito" by David Eagleman and "Seven and a Half Lessons about Your Brain" by Lisa Feldman Barrett as well as readable helpful books about lessons from American adaptations of Buddhist thinking might be helpful, now and in the future.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby