Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Anniversary

On this day in June fifty-five years ago, I landed at the Stevens Point Airport to take a job as assistant professor of education.  I am still here and it is a good place to be.  Not everyone agrees but when does everyone agree on anything?  You can look through my post archives (https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/) at June 7 and its partner day June 10, the day I actually began teaching.  


Teaching is a pleasure for me, whether it is 5th grade in Baltimore County, Maryland or grad school classes in Baltimore City or undergrad classes at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point or grad classes there or statewide classes on Wisconsin Public Television at 6 AM Sunday mornings. I can be a blabbermouth and I don't mind being seen and heard by others.  


Baltimore is a city of half a million and Stevens Point is a city of 26,000.  Besides that Baltimore is a city between the US South and the US North on the Atlantic coast.  Stevens Point is a small city located in central Wisconsin.  Maryland was one of the 13 colonies and has a heritage related to Britain and earlier times.  Wisconsin was a territory before it became a state. I had a course on the history of higher education and from it, I had a high opinion of the University of Wisconsin.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby