Saturday, May 6, 2023

It is asking a lot

I had more than 60 years practice writing the numerals to designate the year by beginning with a one and a nine as in "19".  It has been 23 years since I could do that and I am still uncomfortable.  Very often, when I write a date, I try to catch myself before I spoil the document with a "19" date.  


It is asking a lot to give a person decades of practice doing one thing and then after only 23 years, expecting him to use a different set of figures.  The days of the week have the same names.  The months have the same names.  I think it is impolite to change a good way of writing the digits for the year all of sudden.  


I propose that we take to the streets in protest!  We need crowds and banners and shouting!  We have given this silly 20 a good test and it is uncomfortable!  If we put our brains to the problem, somebody can come up with a handy and elegant solution.  There are many charming and evocative events that are 1900 years in the past.  Let's start numbering from one of them.  Are you with me?  Let's print up some catchy t-shirts!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby