Monday, March 6, 2023

Purpose, shmurpose

I read about loss of purpose.  I also read about the value of gratitude.  


I suppose I could spend too much time and energy having the purpose of being grateful.  I could thank my mom and dad for making me.   Reflecting on the need for a mom and a dad, I could be thankful that my grandparents made my parents.  Sure I could be thankful that my greatgrandparents, all 8 of them, spent the time and effort to make my grandparents but this looks like an ever-enlarging burden. I will just pull the human language trick of using more general language and keep a tiny place in my heart for permanent gratitude to all my ancestors, including the blue-green algae and the cockroaches.  I am related to all of life!


The feeling of being lost and confused is one that has been expressed very fully over and over.  I often enjoy reading the Bible chapter Ecclesiastes.  It is so down.  "Vanity of vanities, …all is vanity."  We are not talking here about thinking I am the handsomest dude around.  No, a much bigger cloud than that: living, eating, breathing, being good, loving and accepting love - this preacher says it is all pointless!  But, Preach, think about this: I, me, myself, yours truly, LIKES life.  I am not focusing on purpose or goal, I am just ENJOYING!  


You may have read of Shakespeare's MacBeth:


Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,

To the last syllable of recorded time;

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.


Just a sec, there, Buddy.  First, I am no idiot!  I even know my multiplication tables! My brain (and yours) is a very impressive organ that controls a complex, stunning bod!  So, stash the blues.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby