Thursday, March 30, 2023

My piano lessons

Lynn has a wide musical background.  I don't.  In high school, I joined the drum and bugle corp. I had been impressed with drums for quite a while but teachers in junior high had asked me to just mouth the words to songs the class sang.  Once, a music teacher had me listen to her play two notes on the piano over and over.  I was supposed to tell her whether the 2nd sound was higher or lower than the first.  After a while, I had more and more trouble telling which was higher.  Lynn can begin a note, hit a key on the piano and the singing and the piano match perfectly.  I can't even though I have tried.  


She sang in choruses in school and church.  She played the French horn and other instruments in high school.  


I can keep a beat but I can't read music.  Lists of activities for older citizens sometimes advise learning to play an instrument and learning other languages as valuable activities for older brains.  So, about a month or two ago, I asked her to usher me into some basic piano lessons.  She has picked a couple pages from "Piano for the Young Beginner".  I have played both lessons several times but when she plays them without looking at the keys or the pages and does so with verve and spirit, I fear I might not ever get to be a piano pro.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby