Thursday, March 9, 2023

More than one card

I like the app Libby.  You can download it to a smartphone or tablet but you can also use it online at https://libbyapp.com.


It allows the user to borrow ebooks, usually for 14 days.  Unless I really buckle down and pay attention each day, that is not usually enough time to finish a book.  The app seems nicely set up and it enables me to extend the borrowing time if the book is not in too much demand. 


When using the app, it is possible to set the browse so that you only see books of a certain type.  I don't use the Hold function but I could use it to be notified if a given book becomes available later.  I set the search for non-fiction available now.  I have read enough mysteries and romances but some psychology, some math, some science is always of interest to me.  


I was impressed to learn that while I have registered my local public library card with the app, I can add a second card for the University of Wisconsin's ebook collection.  If you are interested, you can find several posts in this blog about using Libby.  Another aspect that I like is that when a book becomes due, it merely disappears.  No driving to the library and putting in a return slot.  


This blog has its own web page at https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/

If you go to that page, the search window in the upper left corner can be used to find posts containing a given word or phrase.  Try using "Libby" and you will find several posts that discuss the app and its use.  I like the Kindle ebook reader, which basically lets me read an ebook without interruptions or notifications or other distractions. But if you don't have a Kindle, you can install an app for it on a smartphone, a tablet or a computer.  You can also use the web address read.amazon.com to see the text in an ebook you have purchased or borrowed.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby